Wednesday, February 11, 2009

How did I become an apparel artist?


How did that happen?

In High School
I start off drawing animals and making websites. I wanted to be an illustrator or fine artist till I found out that would require a lot of work that might not even turn into a career. Later on after school I met a lot of commercial illustrators that were indeed making a living from their work. Why don't you get the right info till it's too late?

Design School
Learned the ins and outs of Graphic Design. Made it my career. It pays the bills and I'm highly skilled now. I'm the pre-press guru. I make it work and I make it happen fast. I shell out designs all day long. I make the awful look fantastic. I correct, fudge, clone stamp, flipit and erase it.

Real Life:
I learn there are a lot of designers that hate their jobs, I started hating mine. Is this what life is all about? What about what we did in school? Don't I get to be creative?

Rebel:
Started my own business and learned how to screenprint, sew and design. Now I'm venturing further into the real of the handmade and recycled. I'm REALLY loving working with recycled clothing and coming up with new combinations. Does that mean I'm an apparel artist now?

Life is so confusing.

I wouldn't trade my graphic design in for an apparel design degree. I like it better this way. It's backwards but I understand branding, logo design, marketing, color theory. I can design my own website, logos, flyers, brochures, advertisements, booth banners and look like a pro. I also have something steady to fall back on. So I continue though this life, moving more and more towards being an artist, apparel designer and business owner. I don't know what school can prepare you for but it always helps to get invest in something that can pay the bills! Then learn the rest on your own.

The hardest part about all of this. Is that sometimes I wish I could just come home and not do anything and not feel guilty about it. I wish I could work a full-time job and pay the bills and have loads of savings. Somehow I can't do that. I tried. I have to work for myself, i have to create for myself. I have to connect with people one on one and not just from behind the computer. I want to be a part of people's lives. I want to create, inspire and craft. I want to be know as someone that makes things, that contributes to the world. I want a chance to be me. Sure I can do the boring nity grity, but I'm glad I have my part-time life where I can be my own goofy weird self and totally get away with it.

Someday I hope this passion pays the bills! Isn't that every artist's dream?

now to actually do something useful tonight.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

I loved reading your background story! You've inspired me to write my own. Also, I want to steal your "wanted" sidebar. ;)

Leah said...

wonderful - I love the line:

"I want a chance to be me."

oh and I have a couple of old beat up grids that you might be interested in!